gr9 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Limiting the map size according to player numbers?

3 posters

Go down

Limiting the map size according to player numbers? Empty Limiting the map size according to player numbers?

Post by Atkins Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:39 am

I was wondering if in 1.6 there will be the same system as in Alpha that only certain classes are unlocked while player number is low and the more ppl join the more classes are unlocked. So there won't be 4 g43's and 2 mp40's in the game until more ppl have joined, unlike now.

Now setting an Engineer/Pioneer at the end of the class table so that it would be choose-able only after 10+ ppl are in that team and then in the map itself there would be a TNT objective that he can blow up which would reveal a new path to some objective. So without blowing up that target the choose-able paths to some objectives would be limited and so the map size would be limited, in a way, till the teams are big enough for the extra path to open.

Like imagine an Eglise where the roads to Cabbage are blocked until both teams have around 10 players. The map would be more playable with low player amounts that way. (Ofc Cab would have to be a optional objective and not mandatory like now).

Or in La Fiere the allies could only only leave the initial spawn via the 2 fields on the left side and the 2 right side spawn exists would be sealed till there would be 8+ players per team.

And in St.Come the Northern road would be blocked from both ends till teams yet again are bigger.

Any thoughts?
Atkins
Atkins
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Limiting the map size according to player numbers? Empty Re: Limiting the map size according to player numbers?

Post by Snuffeldjuret Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:59 am

I've thought of it too =). I remember good old Day of Defeat had "blow up soem wall here and there to open up new paths". But not with the goal to open up the map size. It would be a cool work around =).
Snuffeldjuret
Snuffeldjuret
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Limiting the map size according to player numbers? Empty Re: Limiting the map size according to player numbers?

Post by Atkins Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:30 am

Yeah dod_caen at least used to have those extra routes that could be opened up.

Well i suppose there would be 2 ways to do this at least. One could block some areas away totally, like the cabbage idea, and second method would just force ppl to used certain routes and bottlenecks but the whole map would still be the same size, like in La Fiere example.

Atkins
Atkins
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Joene Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:36 am

Ive been thinking about this myself, though more in a way like Battlefield 2. But this is indeed an interesting approach, but then we still have to wait if the devs will implement the class system like in Alpha.
Lets hope they do.

Joene
Forum lvl 2
Forum lvl 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Snuffeldjuret Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:14 am

yea, Im getting quite tired of the way peopel select classes atm when there are few people =(.
Snuffeldjuret
Snuffeldjuret
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atkins Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 am

Snuff had a good idea that one could make those 2048 hedges appear and disappear at certain places depending on player amounts.
I suppose some sort of case_logic is needed here, idk.
And i suppose it would look a bit weird if trees come and go.

Hmm... i wonder if that same trigger/logic system could be applied to roadblocks. So when player amount exceeds e.g. 16, it lets blow up a blockage and expand the map.
Atkins
Atkins
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Snuffeldjuret Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:19 am

it should be np, the problem is that I assume that only way to count the players on the server is by counting the living players on the map, which will go up and down quite a lot =(.

Maybe though if there is a delay in executing the blocking/opening it could be stable though =).
Snuffeldjuret
Snuffeldjuret
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Joene Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:29 pm

is there an entity that tracks the amounts of players then?

Joene
Forum lvl 2
Forum lvl 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Snuffeldjuret Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Not really I guess, but this could be something =)
http://www.editlife.net/tutorial.php?tutid=37
I havent tried it though =(
Snuffeldjuret
Snuffeldjuret
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Joene Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:21 pm

interesting.... Might use it for my Bastogne map. Depending on the number of players, I can increase the size of the front (the main line of resistance)

Joene
Forum lvl 2
Forum lvl 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Snuffeldjuret Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:38 pm

one way to make it could could to to add road blocks botu you can get from one side to hte other
so you can clsoe areas, but without trappign ppl in them =).
Snuffeldjuret
Snuffeldjuret
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atkins Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 pm

You can always put a trigger_hurt inside the closed area that will be activated when the wall is closed so ppl inside will die...
Atkins
Atkins
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Snuffeldjuret Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:39 am

sounds a bit evil =(
Snuffeldjuret
Snuffeldjuret
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Atkins Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:16 am

It is a necessary evil Smile
Well, perhaps that could be avoided by setting a noclip ramp like in st.come allied base spawn so that it makes a certain route one way route only. And enable that with a trigger.
Atkins
Atkins
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Snuffeldjuret Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:30 am

Yeap that was what I was thinking. And then enable/disable road block props to make it intuitive. The risk of people getting stuck in the roadblock itself could be worth taken =).
Snuffeldjuret
Snuffeldjuret
Janitor
Janitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum